Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 18:06:01 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patches from -current for -stable I'd like to commit after testing

Nate Williams scribbled this message on Oct 23:
> In any case, I'd like to figure out a way to have a device truly
> 'shutdown', and then come back up.  However, I need to look at things a
> bit more closely, since my 'brute force and ignorance' patch didn't seem
> to help.

ahh.. thanks for telling me this.. right now I'm looking at designing
a new bus/device interaction spec... and stuff like this is what I want
to know about.. :)  with your addition I realized that having "fixed"
entries for probe/attach'ing is really stupid.. and that we should
actually go on an event based system where an even is delievered to the
device driver...

right now it's something like:
enum {	DV_PROBE,
	DV_ATTACH,
	DV_DETACH,
	DV_SUSPEND,
	DV_RESUME
};

int (*handler)(strcut device *dev, int event);

this is still in design stage... so I'm open to suggestions...  current
spec is: http://resnet.uoregon.edu:6971/~jmg/FreeBSD/busdevice.html

> However, on a positive note, I can suspend/resume with apm_pccard_resume
> set to 1 on my box. :)

I need to update current on my notebook..  I wish that I had 100mbit
network with a 100mbit card.. doing an installworld over nfs just takes
to darn long.. :(

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD