Date:      27 Sep 1997 12:03:08 +0800
From:      grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and Windows on 5 GB drive (was: question)

On Fri, Sep 26, 1997 at 07:22:59AM -0500, Gavin Buffington wrote:
> I'm not sure where to send this question if this reaches the wrong
> person could you please tell me who to send this to?
> Here is my question: I recently got a new machine, pentium II 266
> etc... with a 5 GB hard drive.  It was (and still) is my intention
> to split the hard drive roughly in half and run win95 (yuk) on one
> half and freeBSD on the other.  Here is the problem: when I run the
> freeBSD repartitioning utility FIPS it bombs.  I'm assuming because
> I am running have a 32bit filesystem such that win95 can deal with
> the 5GB drive.  Do you have any suggestions on how I can work around
> this?

Somewhere, hidden in all the menus, Win 95% gives you the option of
using only half the disk.  Install like that, then install FreeBSD on
the rest.  Before you go too far down that road, you should check that
you can boot from the second (FreeBSD) partition.  Older BIOSes can
only boot from the first 504 MB.

Greg