Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 2010 19:54:57 -0500
From:      Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
To:        Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
Subject:   Re: hardware for home use large storage

Charles Sprickman wrote:

>>> You do realise how much of a massive overkill this is and how much you
>>> are overspending?
>>

>> I appreciate the comments and feedback.  I'd also appreciate
>> alternative suggestions in addition to what you have contributed so
>> far.  Spec out the box you would build.
>
> $1200, and I'll run any benchmarks you'd like to see:
>
> http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=8441629
>

> This box is really only for backups, so no fancy CPU.  The sub-$100
> celeron seems to not impact ZFS performance a bit.  It does have ECC
> memory, and a fancy "server" mainboard.

That's pretty neat.  Especially given it has 4x1TB of disks.

For my needs, I'd like a bigger case and PSU: $720 without HDD.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=8918889

My system will have a minimum of 8 SATA devices (5 for ZFS, 2 for the
gmirror'd OS, and 1 for the optical drive).  Thus, I'd still need to buy
another SATA controller on top of the above.

Thank you.