Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:15:54 -0800
From:      mark thompson <info-gentoo@mark.thompson.bz>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   7 Beta, ZFS, NFS not playing nice with Mac OS

I have an amd64 server running 7 Beta 2. It is exporting a ZFS-based
filesystem with NFS.

My Mac OS X (Tiger) client is having problems with the NFS
filesystem. Things work fine from
the shell, but the Finder is unable to create files on the ZFS-based
filesystem.

I made a trace with ethereal of a successful file write to a UFS
partition and an un-successful
write to a ZFS partition.

In frame 15 (17 in nfs.bad) a CREATE call is issued, with the
filename and a mode of EXCLUSIVE (2)
Frame 16 (18 in nfs.bad) is a response, showing the MODE as 0000

Frame 17 (19 in nfs.bad) is a SETATTR call with a new mode of 0644
Frame 18 in nfs.good is a SETATTR reply which shows the new mode as
0644 on the UFS disk
... Frame 20 in nfs.bad is a SETATTR reply which shows the new mode
as 0000 on the ZFS disk

Frame 22 in nfs.good is an ACCESS reply which shows the mode as 0644
on the UFS disk
... Frame 24 in nfs.bad is an ACCESS reply which shows the mode as
0000 on the ZFS disk
      it also shows that MODIFY and EXTEND are disabled.

The Mac then creates a file for the mac-metadata in mode UNCHECKED
(0) and mode 0644,
and that goes ok in both traces.

In summary, it appears that ZFS does not allow SETATTR to change the
file mode, at least in the
case where it is zero, and UFS does.

The mac is apparently using NFS version 3, if that matters.

The traces are too large to quote here, if they are needed to track
this down further they are:
http://www.tgsoft.com/nfs.bad
http://www.tgsoft.com/nfs.good

-mark