Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:52:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        ivan.roth@free.fr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: loosing hair inside canon printer...

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, ivan.roth@free.fr wrote:

> This said, I have this in dmesg:

[snip]

> Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
> ppbus0: <Canon i865/1.13> PRINTER BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe

[snip]

> simple question: how freebsd know about the name of my printer?

I imagine FreeBSD queries the parallel port to see what's there
("Probing..."), and then the printer responds with the information
displayed above.

> # chkprintcap
> chkprintcap: WARNING: found 1 entries when skimming /etc/printcap
> chkprintcap: WARNING: but only found 0 queues to process!

Could it be there is no spool directory? There should be something like
   :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:
in /etc/printcap; make sure that directory exists.

Also, is lpd running? What output does
   ps -aux | grep lpd
produce? The simplest way to run lpd is to put the following in
/etc/rc.conf:

lpd_enable="YES"        # Run the line printer daemon.

Hope this helps.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]