Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:55:53 +0000
From:      Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp.perl.org strangeness

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:27:27AM -0500, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:

> Wouldn't it be nice to be able to configure the default behavior of
> the resolver to not query AAAA records first, before looking for A
> records?  Just because my host is capable of doing IPv6 doesn't mean
> I prefer using it over IPv4.  Especially since it's almost certain to
> be a lower performance path traversing various tunnels, with smaller
> MTUs, etc.

But since I am guessing almost everyone that has IPv6 also has
IPv4[1], wouldn't that mean that IPv6 hardly ever gets used/tested?

If things had been as you suggest then this problem may never have
been noticed.  Then if any organisation were ever to have a "flag
day" for IPv6 it would suddenly be incredibly painful as all apps in
use throughout that organisation suddenly get affected by problems
like this that have lain dormant.

Isn't it better that little quirks like this are found out in
advance whenever anyone starts playing with IPv6?

If you don't want to be part of the testing of IPv6, you could just
not use IPv6, right..?

--
Andy Smith

[1] Yes I am aware that there are plenty of networks that only have
    IPv6, but for the purposes of actual working production systems
    I think they will be in a minority compared to those that also
    have IPv4.  By definition this thread is about public resources
    that have to be available by both IPv4 *and* IPv6.