Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:19:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Shan-Min Chao <shanmin@lvdi.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vx0

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Shan-Min Chao wrote:

>   Thank you for the advice about my 3C590 PCI ethernet card!  Now,
> for additional help... :)

No problem.

> What do I have to do to configure my ethernet card so that
> other (Win95)computers on the LAN can ping it?  All I have done
> so far is recognize that my ethernet card is under the vx0
> device name.   How do I make sure the computer detected
> the card?

Now you need to teach FreeBSD about your network.

> Now, for the next step, I think you have to mess around with
> the rc.conf file, right?  If I remebered correctly, you have to
> do something with the   ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"   line
> under the file.  What do I have to change it to?

Actually, you want to create a new line like so:

ifconfig_vx0="inet your.ip.address netmask your.netmask"

Replace your.ip.address and your.netmask with the appropriate values.

Also modify /etc/resolv.conf and add a line `nameserver
your.nameserver.ip'.