Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 1995 10:07:40 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        brian@mediacity.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bidirectional modem usage

    Brian> 1.  I've setup a modem for dial in/out operation via
    Brian> ttyd0/cuaa0

    Brian>     I keep finding the modem in what I call a getty-battle,
    Brian> where login and the modem are echoing the word 'login:'
    Brian> back on forth.

Set your modem to track the presence of carrier detect and NOT assert
carrier detect all the time.  Also, set it to hang up and reset when
DTR goes on-to-off.  And turn off xon/xoff flow control.  You should
use /dev/ttyd0 in your /etc/ttys file and /dev/cua00 with tip, kermit,
Seyon, minicomm, etc.

    Brian> 2.  When I use tip to talk to the modem and exit tip via
    Brian> "\n~."  I get left with to tip programs showing up in the
    Brian> ps list and am no longer able to access the modem until I
    Brian> manually kill the 2 tips.

    Brian>    What is the correct method to exit tip?  Or do I have
    Brian> something configured wrong somewhere?

That's interesting.  You are exiting tip correctly.  Try the above
settings to your modem and see if that stops the hung tip processes.

--k