Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 12:01:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Pat Barron <pat@transarc.ibm.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "ray" driver no longer works in 4.4-R ?

Another problem I'm having with 4.4 involves the wireless LAN card I use
with my laptop.  I have a Webgear Aviator card (not Aviator Pro), which
works off the "ray" driver.  I'm used to configuring the card using a
sequence like:

     # kldload /modules/if_ray.ko
     # pccardc pccardmem 0xd4000
     # pccardc enabler 0 0 ray0 -m 0 d4000 -i 3
     # ifconfig ray0 192.168.247.5

(I do all this manually, rather than using pccardd, due to bad
interactions between the ray driver and pccardd in earlier versions
of FreeBSD - I'm not sure the problem is still relevant, though.)

This works fine in FreeBSD 4.3.  In FreeBSD 4.4, everything is fine
until I hit the "ifconfig" command, which hangs - but it's not the
whole machine that hangs, just the "ifconfig" command, I can switch to
another virtual console, log in, run commands, whatever.  "ps" shows that
ifconfig is sleeping on "rayinit".  If I go back to the ifconfig window
and control-C the ifconfig command, the system panics with a "ccs not
allocated" panic, called from the ray driver. (I wish I had the exact text
of the panic message with me right now, but I don't, unfortunately....)

Does anyone know if the ray driver is truly broken in 4.4, or am I just
doing something stupid?

--Pat.