Date:      Wed, 02 Feb 2000 15:11:16 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Thomas Stromberg <tstromberg@rtci.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for Gigabit cards for -CURRENT

"Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 13:03:09 -0500, Thomas Stromberg wrote:
> > We're currently looking at upgrading several of our FreeBSD servers
> > (dual PIII-600's, 66MHz PCI) and some Sun Ultra's to Gigabit Ethernet.
> > We plan to hook these machines into our Cisco Catalyst 5000 server. They
> > will most likely move to be running FreeBSD 4.x by the time that we
> > actually get our budget approved. What experiences do you guys have with
> > the cards?
>
> I would recommend getting Alteon boards.  It is likely that the Sun boards
> are Alteon OEM, although I'm not positive.
>
> One thing to keep in mind is that both Netgear and 3Com are OEMing Alteon
> boards, and you'll get them much cheaper that way.  The boards are pretty
> much identical to the Alteon branded boards (which have no identifying
> marks on them).  The performance is the same, at least for the Netgear
> boards.  (I don't have any 3Com boards.)
>
> The Netgear GA620 is a 512K Tigon 2 board, and generally goes for around
> $300 or so.  The 3Com boards have 1MB of SRAM, but I'm not sure whether
> they're Tigon 1 or Tigon 2.  You really want a Tigon 2 board.  Maybe
> someone who has one can comment.

I have a couple of GA620's here, too, and they work quite well.  They support
both 66Mhz and 64-bit PCI bus.  We paid $329 from warehouse.com about 4 months
ago, quite a reasonable price.

You might want to look around and see if anyone has Solaris drivers for
the Tigon-2, if you're using PCI Sun machines.