Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 03:37:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Michael Reifenberger <root@nihil.plaut.de>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        greg@lemis.com, FreeBSD-Current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: panic: integer divide fault with vinum

On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
> You need to configure it.  Use disklabel -e.

No, they where configured.
I have one ' d: 17848151       63     vinum    ' slice per drive.
The only fault where the misspelling of 'stripe' versus 'striped' in the configfile!

> Not much of anything, in fact.
>
> > (Ok, after repairing 'striped' in x)
> > # vinum create x
> > Configuration summary
> >
> > Drives:         0 (4 configured)
> > Volumes:        2 (4 configured)
> > Plexes:         1 (8 configured)
> > Subdisks:       2 (16 configured)
> >

> > V raid                  State: down     Plexes:       1 Size:        100 MB
> >
> > P raid.p0             S State: down     Subdisks:     2 Size:        100 MB
> >
> > S raid.p0.s0            State: stale    PO:        0  B Size:         50 MB
> > S raid.p0.s1            State: stale    PO:      256 kB Size:         50 MB
> > (Hmm, stale sigh. The vinum(8) GOTCHAS 2. is not explicit about my
> > situation.
>
> Well, I would have thought that the fact you have no drives would give
> you something to think about.

Hmm, strange - see my above comment regarding the drive configuration.

The same disks, the same configfile (but with proper spelled 'striped':

# cat x
drive d1 device /dev/da1d
drive d2 device /dev/da2d
volume raid
 plex org striped 256k
  sd length 50m drive d1
  sd length 50m drive d2
# vinum create x
Configuration summary

Drives:         2 (4 configured)
Volumes:        1 (4 configured)
Plexes:         1 (8 configured)
Subdisks:       2 (16 configured)

D d1                    State: up       Device /dev/da1d        Avail: 8664/8714
MB (99%)
D d2                    State: up       Device /dev/da2d        Avail: 8664/8714
MB (99%)

V raid                  State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:        100 MB

P raid.p0             S State: up       Subdisks:     2 Size:        100 MB

S raid.p0.s0            State: up       PO:        0  B Size:         50 MB
S raid.p0.s1            State: up       PO:      256 kB Size:         50 MB

The panic occurs only, if I first use the incorrect config file with 'stripe',
then the corrected one with 'striped' and then detaching the plex and the subdisks.
BTW: It should'n panic in any case.
> Well, you could RTFM, in this case vinum(4).  It tells you in some
> detail what to do if you have a panic.  The stack trace you have there
I haven't set up remote debugging.

Sorry, its behind a firewall which I can't manipulate and it blocks telnet and
ssh at the moment.
But I'm shure you can reproduce the panic by following the steps I have taken.

Bye!
----
Michael Reifenberger
Plaut Software GmbH, R/3 Basis