Date:      Thu, 20 May 2004 19:22:43 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Praneeth Reddy <praneeth_1990@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install questions (was Re: hello, urgent)

[Please user "reply to all" to keep the mailing list
on the recipient list]

Praneeth Reddy wrote:
> my computer has ethernet internet connection. i use
> linksys lan card. if i reinstall system i have to
> reinstall the lan software. but it says its designed
> for windows only. and i want to remove windows because
> 1 it has virus, 2 it has only total of 2 gb. and i
> relly really liked freebsd screenshots. i really want
> to use it. please tell me a way to do that

Check here to see if your Linksys card is supported by
FreeBSD:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.9R/hardware-i386.html
If it is listed there, then you don't need any additional
software, the required drivers are included in FreeBSD.

Otherwise, I suggest you start reading the handbook.
Folks like myself have put considerable effort into
putting together this documentation.  I don't really
have the desire to repeat everything that's been done
there:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

Specicifically, the section on installation I pointed
you to earlier.

If, during installation, you hit a _specific_ problem,
don't hesitate to mail this list asking for assistance.
If you do so, please read this document:
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
and follow the instructions there, it will assure you
of the fastest response.

I suspect that English is not your first language. At
the top-right of the FreeBSD.org homepage are links to
other languages.  See if your language is listed there,
it will probably make things easier on you.

Good Luck!

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies