Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 23:49:12 -0400
From:      James Howard <howardjp@well.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using MD and VN disks

I am still here building Linux file-systems on FreeBSD.  I solved
my previous problems by making Linux images on Linux then just
manipulating images under FreeBSD.  Not very sexy, but it is effective.

Now, I have run into some interesting problems.  First, I cannot get
MD-bases disks to work for more than one disk.  I have allocated 24M
in the kernel (the combined size I am using is 14M).  So I am not sure
what is happening there.  Some insight would be appreciated.

So instead, I have been using VN disks (this is an example how cool
FreeBSD is, I couldn't make MD disks work, but something else did!).
It appears after using vnconfig -e to unattach a disk, it doesn't
really unattach.  In order to reuse a vn device, I have to unload the
vn KLD.  This is not a problem for me, since only one person will be
building at a time, but I am worried about loading and unloading and
other things like that causing a stability problem.  Are my fears
well-founded?  Is there a Right Way to do this?

Thank you, J~