Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:35:36 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

On Tuesday,  4 February 2003 at  0:43:26 +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>> the thing is, you have on the one side -core that wants him gone, and,
>> from what I can see, non-core that doesn't want him gone ...
>
> That is not the case.

As I mentioned earlier, what you see is not necessarily what happened.

A few points:

1.  Before removing dillon, we had had numerous requests from
    committers ("non-core") to do so.  We resisted for over a year.

2.  We have had approximately the same number of people say "Wrong,
    fool!" and "Thank you, finally".  The differences are

    i.   The first group are mainly not src committers, and they
         complain in public.

    ii.  The second group are not src committers, and they thank us in
         private.

    I don't know what that is, and I'm not objecting to public
    criticism, but it's a thing to consider when evaluating the
    community response.

Greg