Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:42:49 +0000
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: History of C (Re: Why do you use a devil as a mascot?)

On 11/14/10 20:44, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	TWo questions: didn't IBM create CPL? And doesn't BCPL
> 	Stand for "British Computer Programming Language"?  (I did have
> 	both editions of the C book by Brian and DEnnis; then loaned the
> 	2nd edition and never got ti back.)  I think Dennis gives credit
> 	to BCPL Somewhere.  Pretty sure those guys are all retired to
> 	somewhere *warm and sunny* by now!

According to Wikipedia:

 > The Combined Programming Language (CPL) was a computer programming
 > language developed jointly between the Mathematical Laboratory at the
 > University of Cambridge and the University of London Computer Unit
 > during the 1960s hence CPL gained the nickname "Cambridge Plus London"

Martin Richards, who invented/first implemented BCPL is technically
retired but still active here in Cambridge (the UK one):

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mr10/index.html

[Note the address of Cambridge Computer Lab :-)]

--
"Although the wombat is real and the dragon is not, few know what a
wombat looks like, but everyone knows what a dragon looks like."

	-- Avram Davidson, _Adventures in Unhistory_