Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 15:17:16 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de (Julian Howard Stacey)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD trademark.

> Jordan wrote:
>
> > You can't possibly
> > sit there and tell me that "housing" ourselves under the umbrella of a
> > notoriously bloated organization like the ISO or CCITT is going to be
> > LESS work, now can you?
>
> Didnt know they were bloated, go find a non bloated one then :-)
>
> > And you completely ignored my other points, which was that the
> > necessary INFRASTRUCTURE is here!
>
> Where the coms links are & where the sup servers & cvs are physically has
> little relevance to whose law is best used, you'd be best advised offloading
> the paper work on willing helpers in other countries who want to help,
> but aren't quite up to you mega hacker/techie standard, or are you afraid
> of loosing control ?.

You're really not making any sense at all. All that setting up FreeBSD Inc
in the states means is that buisness transactions etc will be covered by
US law and in this regard it's no worse than anywhere else. I don't think
you can set up not-for-profit companies in the UK. You'd have to establish
it as a charity and FreeBSD wouldn't qualify.

> > I'd go to england if I wanted fish and chips
> You miss the point, I am Not promoting my own country (though you are yours ;-).
> We should minimise FreeBSD's involvement with the USA national legal system
> because it has proven itself disruptive to FreeBSD (crypt etc).

The issue with crypt has absolutely nothing to do with FreeBSD Inc. Even
if we set up elsewhere our main "office" would still be WC and the
export laws would still apply.

> If you insist on forcing national law on an international organisation,
> go use Irish or New Zealand law or something instead., I don't care whose,
> anyone's law Except disruptive USA law.

Fine, well, I tell you what, You relocate to Ireland or New Zealand and
set it up for us. It's just totally ridiculous to suggest we setup FreeBSD
Inc in a country where we have no core team members!

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org,  URL: http://isl.cf.ac.uk/~paul/