Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2008 01:30:35 +0300
From:      Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd@codelabs.ru>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
Cc:        Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple default routes on multihome host

Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 05:06:42PM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
> > I had faced such situation once: I had multihomed host that was
> > running Apache daemon that was announced via two DNS names that
> > were corresponding to two different IPs, going via two different
> > providers.  When the first provider's link goes down, the second
> > provider is still alive, and when both providers are alive, the
> > traffic is balanced via DNS round-robin alias.  Do you see some
> > better way to do it via CARP, RIP, something different?  I am still
> > interested in other possibilities.
>
> The canonical way to do this is with BGP.

Yes, thus there will be only one IP, but it will be routed via
either provider, balanced across links and if one link will fail,
AS will be announced via the second one.  Right?

And how would you say to your box: 'OK, this packet originates from
the IP1 that should go to the GW1, and the other originates from
IP2, so it should be forced to go via GW2'.  I want symmetric routing
for both of these IPs.  Tried to imagine how it can be done via
BGP, but was not able to figure out.  Any practical examples?

> I can be done with CARP
> if both providers support it and are willing to work together.
Very, very unlikely for me ;))

Thank you.
--
Eygene