Date:      Fri, 09 Oct 1998 13:42:50 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <cschuber@passer.osg.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Stable <FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED: un-DEVFS'ing -Stable

> 	I have a customer (not me, honest :) who thought they'd "save me time"
> and hacked their own kernel, enabling DEVFS on a -Stable system. Now a
> kernel not using DEVFS won't boot, so I need to know how to undo their
> damage. I'm guessing that it's just a matter of doing a MAKEDEV in
> single user mode with the new kernel but I have NO experience with DEVFS
> so any help would be very well appreciated.

You've got three options, probably more:

1.  When the boot prompt is displayed (assuming you have a generic
kernel),
    enter kernel.GENERIC -s, or if your old kernel is still around,
enter
    kernel.old at the boot prompt.  Then build a new kernel.

2.  Boot from floppy, choose the fixit option and insert either CDROM 2
or
    a fixit floppy in the appropriate drive; then build a new kernel.

3,  Boot from floppy, mount your filesystems under /mnt, chroot /mnt,
then
    build a new kernel.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca