Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 12:11:09 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Enabling Softupdates in default install on -CURRENT

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 11:40:31AM -0800, Kirk McKusick wrote:
> In the meantime, you should
> be mounting a memory-based filesystem on /tmp. Indeed you should
> do that in any event - setting up a memory-based /tmp should
> be part of the default setup script.

Unfortunately we don't have a very satisfying memory-based file system
at this time.

The last time I tried it (6 mo. ago), md(4) rushed pages out to the
backing swap vs.  being smarter about what to flush from the buffer
cache.  I was getting the same performance with a real FFS /tmp and a
large amount of core.  The malloc(9) mdmfs is always 100% core resident.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)