Date:      Thu, 24 May 2007 13:51:14 -0700
From:      Peter Giessel <pgiessel@mac.com>
To:        Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: laser printer - which one?

On Thursday, May 24, 2007, at 09:58AM, "Gabor Kovesdan" <gabor@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>- quality (I mean here, that I want to use it for a long time, thus it
>should be of good quality and be robust)
>- has such a toner, *that can be refilled cheaply*

I've found that the price per page doesn't vary that much between
printers.  Some, but not that much.  Its more a matter of how long
you can go between replacing the toner.

>- prints in good quality, speed and noise is not that important
>- should work under FreeBSD / Linux, not just under Windows

I've used by Xerox a lot under MacOSX, FreeBSD (using CUPS mostly)
and printed maybe 5 pages from Windows...  It definitely works
with FreeBSD.

>As for the price, I'm thinking of 100 000 HUF (about 400 EUR) as *very*
>maximum. The price is important, but the first point is more important
>at all...I color laser printer would be cool if this amount of money is
>sufficient for this, but a BW one is ok, too.

I have a Phaser 6300.  Xerox includes the .PDD file to make CUPS
recognize all its features.  Its priced a bit high for your requirements
but a Phaser 6180 might be something you are interested in.
http://www.office.xerox.com/printers/color-printers/phaser-6180/enus.html