Date:      Sat, 17 May 2003 23:32:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        dmlb@dmlb.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Centrino Laptop (Acer 800Cli) and 5.1

In message: <XFMail.20030516003100.dmlb@dmlb.org>
            Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org> writes:
: I'm looking for suggestions on how to debug 5.1 to get a bit further in the
: boot cycle!

>From the acpi man page:

     The acpi driver comprises a set of drivers, which may be selectively dis-
     abled in case of problems.  To disable a sub-driver, list it in the ker-
     nel environment variable debug.acpi.disable.

     ACPI sub-devices and features that can be disabled:

     bus       (feature) Probes and attaches subdevices.  Disabling will avoid
               scanning the ACPI namespace entirely.

     children  (feature) Attaches standard ACPI sub-drivers and devices enu-
               merated in the ACPI namespace.  Disabling this has a similar
               effect to disabling ``bus'', except that the ACPI namespace
               will still be scanned.

     button    (device) Supports ACPI button devices (typically power and
               sleep buttons).

     ec        (device) Supports the ACPI Embedded Controller interface, used
               to communicate with embedded platform controllers.

     isa       (device) Supports an ISA bus bridge defined in the ACPI names-
               pace, typically as a child of a PCI bus.

     lid       (device) Supports an ACPI laptop lid switch, which typically
               puts a system to sleep.

     pci       (device) Supports Host to PCI bridges.

     cpu       (device) Supports CPU power-saving and speed-setting functions.

     thermal   (device) Supports system cooling and heat management.

     timer     (device) Implements a timecounter using the ACPI fixed-fre-
               quency timer.

See if disabling only a subset helps you solve your problem.  I didn't
know about these until I went to add a note about disabling acpi to
the man page...

Warner