Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 21:14:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      bobj@atlantic.net
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/16854: Typos from Chapter 4 of FreeBSD Handbook

>Number:         16854
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Typos from Chapter 4 of FreeBSD Handbook
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Found the following typos and other problems in the HTML version of
The FreeBSD Handbook as published on www.freebsd.org.  URL references
are to the web page in which a particular error is found (in this
case they are all in http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/porting.html).

============

In URL http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/porting.html
Section 4.4.5.1. ldconfig

"Anybody who does this will be shot and cut in 65,536
pieces by a rusty knife and have is liver chopped out..."

The word "is" should probably be "his", unless you want
to be non-gender-specific, in which case "their" is
commonly used.

-------------

Same URL
Section 4.4.6. ELF support

"...we wish to unofficially support the 2.2 as long as
possible."

The 2.2 what?  The 2.2 ports?  The 2.2 binaries?  I think
a word is missing here.

-------------

Same URL
Section 4.4.9 Manpages

"Additionally ${PREFIX}/man/man8/alt-name.8.gz may or may-not be
installed by your port."

Change "may-not" to "may not".

------------

Same URL
Section 4.4.12. Info files

"If your port installs any info documents, please follow this
instructions so your port/package will correctly update the
user's PREFIX/info/dir file."

Change "this" to "these".

------------

Same URL
Section 4.4.13.5. Changing the names of files in the pkg subdirectory

"This is especially useful when you are sharing the same pkg
subdirectory among several ports or have to write to one of the
above files (see writing to places other than WRKDIR for why it
is a bad idea to write directly in to the pkg subdirectory."

Mismatched parentheses.  Need a closing paren before the
period.

-----------

Same URL
Section 4.4.16. Do's and Dont's

"Here is a list of common do's and dont's that you encounter
during the porting process."  As mentioned in a previous
typos submission, "Do's and Dont's" is not spelled correctly.
It should be "Dos and Don'ts", but you have to play games
with fonts for it to make sense.

-----------

Same URL
Section 4.4.16.5. Differentiating operating systems and OS versions

      3.3-RELEASE
      3.3-STABLE
      3.3-STABLE after adding mkstemps() to libc
??-->
      4.0-CURRENT after 3/4 branch
      4.0-CURRENT after change in dynamic linker handling
      4.0-CURRENT after C++ constructor/destructor order change

The list of values for __FreeBSD_version does not include
entries for 3.4-RELEASE or 3.4-STABLE.

-----------

Same URL
Section 4.4.16.6. Writing something after bsd.port.mk

In the list of variables the entry for PORTOBJFORMAT

"PORTOBJFORMAT    The object format of the system (aout or elf "

has no closing parenthesis.

-----------

Same URL
Same Section, 4.4.16.6. Writing something after bsd.port.mk

"Here are some examples of things you can write after
bsd.port.pre.mk; "

I would end this with a colon instead of a semicolon.
I'm pretty sure I would be correct in doing so...

-----------

Same URL
Section 4.4.16.22. If you are stuck...

"Do look at existing examples and the bsd.port.mk file before
asking us questions! ;) "

Although it looks fine in plain text, this emoticon does not
look right when rendered in italics on my browser.
It needs a nose.  In other places it is rendered as ;-)

-----------

Same URL
Section 4.4.17. A Sample Makefile

"[maintainer; *mandatory*!  This is the person (preferably
with commit privileges) who a user can contact for questions
and bug reports "

"who" should be "whom", although few people care these days.

-----------

Same URL
Section 4.4.18. Automated package list creation

"If your port honours PREFIX (which it should) you can then
install the port and create the package list. "

This uses the British spelling "honours".  I haven't noticed
British usage in earlier sections, although perhaps I
wasn't looking.  If consistency is considered important,
someone should decide whether British or American spellings
will be used, or perhaps create SGML tags that allow alternate
spellings to be specified so that regional editions of the
Handbook can be easily rendered.  Creating a tool to automate
the search for words so affected would then also be handy.

-----------

Same URL
Section 4.4.19. Package Names

"2. The name part should be all lowercases, except for a
really large package (with lots of programs in it)."

I would say "all lowercase" rather than "all lowercases".

----------

Same URL
Section 4.4.20.1. Current list of categories

"afterstep*     Ports to support AfterStep window manager "

Reads better as "Ports to support the Afterstep...".  Add
the word "the".  Also, there should be a period at the end
to be consistent with other entries in the list.

-----------

Same URL
Same Section

"devel    Development utilities. Do not put libraries here
          just because they are libraries--unless they truly
          do not belong to anywhere else, they should not
          be in this category. "

I would change "belong to anywhere else" to "belong anywhere
else".

-----------

Same URL
Same Section

"irc    Internet Chat Relay utilities. "

Should say "Internet Relay Chat", at least in my dialect.

-----------

Same URL
Same Section

"misc   Miscellaneous utilities--basically things that
        does not belong to anywhere else."

"does" should be "do".  Also, I would drop "to" so it
says "...things that do not belong anywhere else."

-----------

Same URL
Section 4.4.20.2. Choosing the right category

"Also, you do not need to list net when the port belongs
to either of irc, mail, mbone, news, security, or www. "

To me, "either" implies a choice between two options;
either a or b.  I would change "either" to "any".  I'm
not sure how the rest of the world feels about this.

-----------

Same URL
Same Section, 4.4.20.2. Choosing the right category

"If you are not sure about the category, please put a
comment to that effect in your send-pr submission so
we can discuss it before import it."

There should be a word between "before" and "import".
Probably "we".  Also, the parentheses around the
next sentence should be removed (a  sentence that
consists of nothing but a parenthetical phrase doesn't
seem quite right).

>How-To-Repeat:
See referenced URLs.
>Fix:
Implement my suggestions if you agree with them.