Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:04:31 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   cannot boot from a SCSI disk

Hi there,

I have a problem with getting one system boot from a SCSI disk.

The system was installed on an IDE disk, and then dump|restored to the
SCSI one. I used /stand/sysinstall's fdisk to mark the slice bootable,
and install the standard MBR, but all I got was "Missing operating
system". If I install booteasy, it shows the menu, but doesn't boot from
the SCSI disk.

I've since then tried many different things, but since this area is a
bit Greek to me, I'm not sure what's wrong.

The disk (or the data on it) is fine: I have the box booted off of an
IDE disk, with all filesystems, including /, mounted from the SCSI one.
It just doesn't want to boot. It doesn't even get to the

 >> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
 Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
 boot:

prompt.

I've realized I don't have a fscking idea about how booting works,
especially in FreeBSD. Pretty embarrasing. :(