Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:40:25 -0400
From:      mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>
To:        ann kok <annkok2001@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrade freebsd

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 10:32:17AM -0700, ann kok wrote:
> Dear Mike
>
> Thank you very much for your help
>
> I read the article from "make world"
> http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/
>
> I finished the part 6
> and the system can be freebsd 4.5
>
> But I couldn't do make installworld and got the error
> I am thinking the problem about single user
> because I don't reboot it as single user to do this
>
> Do you know what is my problem about installworld

It could be your security level. If it's
too high (above 0, I believe,) you won't be able to
install a new kernel or anything else that requires
unsetting the immutable flag ('man securelevel' for
more.)

Like I said, you should be able to do an installworld
in multi-user mode, but you may end up with an
inconsistent system. I'd be curious to hear any
horror stories that have come about from doing
an installworld in multi-user mode.

> Thank you again

mike