Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:52:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Steve Bertrand" <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@itlegion.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to migrate raid 5 array to another controller?

> If i am running raid5 on 3ware can i use the same disk array as
> raid5 on, for example, high point controller without rebuilding
> the array, just reattching disks to a new controller? Basically,
> i am asking if raid5 is a industrially standard or every manufacturer
> adds something to its specs.

First off, most of the people in the FreeBSD lists can get fairly upset
when they see people cross-posting to more than one list at a time.
Generally, if you ask a question, it is pretty much list etiquette to ask
one list, and be redirected to another if necessary. I have removed
hardware from this reply.

Technically speaking, this isn't really FreeBSD related, but I'll take a
crack at it. Manufacturers of RAID disk arrays generally have their own
disk configuration techniques. I have found that moving disks from one
RAID controller to another does not work, and the array has to be
re-created. I don't know if this is standard across the board, but my
experience tells me that it may be the case.

You'd be better off cloning the RAID array, say to perhaps a single IDE
disk, migrating the disks to the new controller and creating the array on
that controller, and if the machine does not come back up, clone back from
the IDE backup onto the new array.

HTH,

Steve