Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 02:11:03 -0600
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        mmercer@ipass.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: removing a.out executables found in /usr/sbin?

In message <19990402170915.E413@lemis.com>, Greg Lehey wrote:
} On Friday,  2 April 1999 at  1:30:54 -0600, Jon Hamilton wrote:
} >
} > In message <19990402132258.V413@lemis.com>, Greg Lehey wrote:
} >> On Thursday,  1 April 1999 at 22:17:01 -0500, Michael E. Mercer wrote:
} >>> Hello all,
} >>>
} >>> I have found a few executables in /usr/sbin that are
} >>> a.out format...(at least that is what the command 'file' is telling
} >>> me)
} >>>
} >>> Is it feasible to delete these files with no impact???
} >>
} >> That depends on whether you want to use them or not :-)
} >>
} >>> I would assume a 'make world' recompiled everything it needed
} >>> in ELF format, therefore any a.out format files would not be
} >>> needed?!?!?!
} >>
} >> I don't think they're from FreeBSD.  If so, they would have been
} >> overwritten by new versions.
} >
} > Unless there _is_ no new version; /sbin/dset is a good example of
} > cruft that gets left behind after upgrading to 3.1, and there are
} > other examples as well.
}
} $ file /sbin/dset
} /sbin/dset: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), stat
} ically linked, stripped
$ uname -a
} FreeBSD freebie.lemis.com 4.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT #135: Tue Mar 23 19
} :18:27 CST 1999     grog@freebie.lemis.com:/T/src/FREEBIE/src/sys/compile/FRE
} EBIE  i386

Interesting.

$ file /sbin/dset
/sbin/dset: FreeBSD/i386 compact demand paged executable
$ uname -r
3.1-STABLE

Though I do notice checking the timestamp that it's recent, so it's
not an example of what I thought it was.  I'll (sheepishly) refer
instead to /sbin/newlfs:

$ ls -l /sbin/newlfs
-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  114688 May 22  1998 /sbin/newlfs

$ file /sbin/newlfs
/sbin/newlfs: FreeBSD/i386 compact demand paged executable

$ uname -r
3.1-STABLE

The newlfs (and related) code wound up in the CVS attic, and is no longer
built.

Quoting the newlfs(8) manpage:

BUGS
     LFS does not currently work in any variant of FreeBSD and should
     therefore not be used.

} I suspect this is one of the things that people moved from one
} directory to another (typically from /usr/bin to /bin or /usr/sbin to
} /sbin).  I've looked at my oldest machine and found no /usr/sbin/dset,

This is likely another cause of this sort of thing, agreed.  My point
(which I supported poorly) still stands though; there are examples
of cruft which gets left behind by FreeBSD as you upgrade it over time,
whether because it got moved to a different directory or wound up in the
attic and the binary (and man page) were never removed.

} but I did find a /usr/sbin/sysctl, which has been replaced with
} /sysctl.  I consider this an obscenity to move things without warning
} people and without removing the old version on install,

I'd have to agree there.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com