Date:      Fri, 18 May 2007 07:33:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chuck Grimes <cgrimes@rawbw.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Old 4.2 user, with 6.2 newbie questions

Thanks to Ted M and Mikhail G for the help on Fetchmail.

I think I have narrowed the problem down to exclude any configuration
mistakes in fetchmail or sendmail.

I think I have a problem with my serial port sio0 (it has a 56k USR
modem). In dmesg:

dmesg | grep "sio":

sio0: configured irq 22 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0: port may not be enabled
sio0: <3COM PCI FaxModem> port 0x1000-0x1007 irq 22 at device 1.0 on pci7
sio0: moving to sio4
sio4: type 16550A
fwohci0: OHCI version 1.10 (ROM=0)
sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on acpi0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1: port may not be enabled
*sio4: 297 more interrupt-level buffer overflows (total 297)

The last line shows an added messages that the sio4 has
overflows. Notice that the sio0 (with 56k modem) has been remapped to
sio4.

Also, my isp uses standand ip/tcp (IPv4, not IPv6). I have both
enabled in inetd.conf.

My problem is that using the modem to connect to my isp, I can not get
fetchmail, rsh, rlogin, or ftp to work. They all start just fine and
then hang. I have to kill the user1 to get the tty1 back.

I set this new box (6.2) up with a network connection to my old box
(4.2) as a gateway. When the 4.2 box connects to the isp, I can use
rsh, rlogin, fetchmail from the new box using the old box as the
connection. This implies there is something wrong with the new box
serial connection to my isp.

However, from the new box (6.2) after starting the dial up connection
on the serial port, I can use telnet to get to the isp shell account.

What is the difference between how rsh uses the various ip/tcp
protocols and how telnet?