Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:33:20 +0200
From:      "Clemens Hermann" <haribeau@gmx.de>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   redundant servers

Hi,

after looking for "the best way" to get something like a cheap HA system
running under FreeBSD I am everything but sure what's the best way to go.
The tasks are the normal ISP daemons like: apache, mysql, qmail, djbdns,
ftpd, ssh etc. I am talking about 1-3 computers that will be some hundred
miles away from where I am from time to time.
My goal is to keep the services running if problems occur or at least to be
able to access the boxes remote and to have all the data available on any
box to modify the setup and get things back to work exactly where they were
interrupted if one machine partly/completely fails.
I thought about mirroring the databases and files between two machines. I am
not sure how this could be done the best way. MySQL is no problem but how
can I have a live-mirror of some directories?
I thought about a cluster but besides the lack of experience (none!) I think
there has to be a primary node (=single point of failure) and for that few
machines it might not be the best solution.
I am sure there is a third way. Money is (as always) a problem, the whole
hardware should not cost much more than ~$ 7500,-. Performance is not the
important point, availability and maintainability in case of a failure is
more important.
Any hints, URLs, Books, recommendations are very welcome. Furthermore I
would appreciate it to know why my ideas are everything but ideal ;-)

Thanks in advance

/ch