Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:06:18 +0000
From:      falbu@amnesty.org
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Custom installation using boot.flp (2.88)

Hello list,

Background:
I am using FreeBSD 4.1 and I have to perform the same installation on
multiple servers with identical hardware.
I am trying to use the sysinstall feature, that is to have a customized
install.cfg in the root folder.
The resources I found so far, which are somehow related to this subject,
were:
        http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/pxe/ (Thanks to Alfred Perlstein)

I have managed so far to add it to the floppy image msfroot.flp with the
following procedure:

cp /dist/floppies/msfroot.flp  /tmp
vnconfig vn0 /tmp/mfsroot.flp
mount /dev/vn0 /mnt
cp /mnt/msfroot.gz /tmp
umount /mnt
vnconfig -u vn0
gunzip /tmp/msfroot.gz
vnconfig vn0 /tmp/msfroot
mount /dev/vn0 /mnt
and copy now the customized install.cfg to the root in /mnt

Problem:
I was trying to do the same for boot.flp (the 2.88 MB image), so that I
can burn a bootable CD with it.
However, when I mount boot.flp using the procedure described above, I can
see that the contents of it is quite different.

Question:
What is the structure of boot.flp and how can I add a file to it in the
same way I did with msfroot.flp?
I couldn't find any documentation about how to modify boot.flp.

Many thanks,
Florentin Albu

Client-Server Systems Manager
falbu@amnesty.org
         Amnesty International, International Secretariat
                     visit us at   http://www.amnesty.org

Be Realistic! Plan for a Miracle!

ONE click to stamp out torture.
                                   http://www.stoptorture.org