Date:      Thu, 8 Dec 2005 19:48:13 +0100
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h@lvor.halvorsen.cc>
To:        Keith Bottner <keith@barkinglizards.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Detect hardware changes

On 12/8/05, Keith Bottner <keith@barkinglizards.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a utility that can run on FreeBSD and detect the
> addition of new hardware? Specifically network cards? When I originally
> installed FreeBSD I only had a single NIC and since I installed a second =
but
> FreeBSD does not recognize it. Any ideas on how I can get FreeBSD to be
> aware of the new NIC?

I think someone replied to you (or someone with a similar problem)
just the other day. Use "pciconf -lv" to list all hardvare. If you see
none@ lines, this means that no drivers did attach to the hardware.
Then you either need to recompile you kernel og load the correct
kernel module or, if the hardware is not supported, either write a new
driver yourself or replace the hardware (or the os).

You can use the ifconfig utility to list all recognized NICs installed.