Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:30:15 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        nik@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Timetables for interface deprecation/deletion

I've read the entire thread now.

I'm sure this is well intended.

But I am firmly against such a sweeping use of "red tape" as it
will make forward progress practically impossible:

KSE for instance would not be possible because it changes the API
so that old ps(1) binaries do not work.

I think we need make a considered judgement, per major release,
about what is in, what is out and what stays for compatibility
reasons, having rigid and inflexible rules on the subject is not
helpful to anybody.

This is the kind of rigid square policy-making which big companies
need to apply because they dare not delegate "good judgement" to
their development department.

This does not belong in a for-fun Open Source project.

I agree that we need to follow standards reasonably close, but we
do not need to be backwards compatible over timespans of 5 years.