Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:01:14 +0100
From:      "Paul B. Mahol" <onemda@gmail.com>
To:        Coleman Kane <cokane@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] amd64 suspend/resume code to be comitted
References:  <1236802980.00085518.1236789602@10.7.7.3> <49BEE5BC.30703@FreeBSD.org> <200903162053.28614.jkim@FreeBSD.org> <179b97fb0903231416j4659101eu88dcc5ecf578167b@mail.gmail.com> <49C8FA92.7020104@entel.upc.edu> <1237920918.1859.1.camel@balrog.2hip.net> <49C92FA6.20608@entel.upc.edu> <1237926289.1735.17.camel@localhost> <3a142e750903241732p3a7bc0a6k9810c5c8bb14eea@mail.gmail.com> <1238074249.1834.6.camel@localhost>

On 3/26/09, Coleman Kane <cokane@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 01:32 +0100, Paul B. Mahol wrote:

>> > I've been seeing the exact same problem that you are with the if_bge
>> > driver (including jkim's earlier patches). Does it do this for anyone
>> > using i386? I have not been able to make this work for me no matter what
>> > I try. Have you managed to get if_bge working after a resume? Could I be
>> > CC'd on any patches that might solve this problem in the future?
>> >
>> > if_bge has a strange bootstrapping sequence which I think might be core
>> > to the problem. It seems that you are supposed to write a value to a
>> > register, then wait for that register to read something else before
>> > proceeding (yes, I've simplified the actual sequence of steps). This
>> > process complicates debugging the hardware, and I've been unsuccessful
>> > in trying to simply kldunload if_bge and then saving/restoring the PCI
>> > register space before/after suspend/resume... Any insight would be
>> > helpful. Maybe I should browse the Linux kernel commit logs for this one
>> > and see if it bit them too...
>> >
>> > I also see that there is some issue that breaks NDIS on resume as well,
>> > but I am not sure why at the moment.
>>
>> I would say that there is no any real support for NDISulator after
>> resume. It is NDISulator bug.
>> Workarodund is to unload module before suspend and load it again after
>> resume, and device must be in D3 state before suspending
>> (hw.pci.do_power_nodriver=3)
>>

> I have this set in my /boot/loader.conf, and I verified that it is still
> set by running "sysctl hw.pci.do_power_nodriver" after boot.
>
> In rc.suspend, I've got (to unload the modules before suspend):
> kldunload if_bge
> kldunload ndis
> kldunload if_ndis
>
> I get the exact same behavior (not working) from bge and ndis no matter
> what I try. I manually re-load the modules after resume, and neither
> will work.
>
> Attached is the dmesg output of bge0 during the process. You can see
> where the system unloads the driver (detached), and then where I re-load
> the driver.
>
> Any ideas?

In my case I need to load some another kernel device module(the one
that resumes correctly ...) otherwise devices without driver attached
would not be put back into D3 state.

eg, in my case I unload snd_hda and load it again _before_ suspend.

With "pciconf -lvc" you can inspect device power states.

--
Paul