Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 00:34:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>
To:        Nick Hibma <n_hibma@calcaphon.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What do people think of maybe using the sourceforge software?

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Nick Hibma wrote:

> I guess that most people leading a project could do with a bit of
> feature creep, features being shoved under their noses. Even if at first
> you think that source control solves all our problems, it still could be
> a way to develop new tools and get them running and tried out before
> committing them to the tree.
>
> Second, the projects page we have now, with all due respect to the
> people that try to keep it reasonably organised, is a mess due to the
> lack of updates. people only maintain their project pages perhaps, but
> certainly not the links that lead to them.
>
> Being able to work with more people on the same project on an equal
> bases would be a good idea IMHO.
>
> Nick

	Although I have no control over what goes on behind the curtains, I
  must say the following:

  	My feeling is that a lot of the doc people are working really hard to
  make this sort of stuff happen. I know, for instance, that Jeroen
  (Asmodai) has great ideas in place for centralization of project
  listings, and TODO lists, etc. The only thing left is to bind these ideas
  together and make things like this happen. One of the big issues, I feel,
  is the duplication of efforts and I, as a "guy who develops from the
  sidelines" can tell you right now: a centralized information-base such as
  the one [I believe] these people are working on is key to what I choose to
  poke at next. Please remember that a lot of people who contribute to the
  project are not necessarily committers and do not read -commiters mail.
  The centralization of documentation and various other data will make
  collaboration possible and, best of all, it'll make it fun (which is what
  open source is about for many of us).
	With the centralization of information will come direction.

  Cheers,
  Bosko.

--
 Bosko Milekic * pages.infinit.net/bmilekic/index.html * www.technokratis.com
 bmilekic@dsuper.net * bmilekic@technokratis.com * b.milekic@marianopolis.edu

 "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how
  to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."