Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:51:26 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's the maximum data deg size?

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> > I seem to be unable to raise the maximum data seg size:
> >
> > data seg size (kbytes)      524288
> # Certain applications can grow to be larger than the 128M limit
> # that FreeBSD initially imposes.  Below are some options to
> # allow that limit to grow to 256MB, and can be increased further
> # with changing the parameters.  MAXDSIZ is the maximum that the
> # limit can be set to, and the DFLDSIZ is the default value for
> # the limit.  You might want to set the default lower than the
> # max, and explicitly set the maximum with a shell command for processes
> # that regularly exceed the limit like INND.
> #
> options         MAXDSIZ="(256*1024*1024)"

But that's 256MB? I'm hitting a 512MB limit.

> options         DFLDSIZ="(256*1024*1024)"
>
> Also make sure your login limits aren't being exhausted, type 'limit'
> and check out LOGIN.CONF(5).

There's only one default entry in login.conf and everything is set to
unlimited.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key
M.S.Powell@ais.salfrd.ac.uk (spell salford correctly to reply to me)