Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:39:39 -0800
From:      "Eugene M. Kim" <gene@nttlabs.com>
To:        Hardware FreeBSD ML <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Current FreeBSD ML <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Eugene M. Kim" <gene@nttlabs.com>
Subject:   Re: ie0 and EE16

Greetings,

Tony Kimball wrote:

> Just FYI, the ie driver consistently fails for me after several days
> of use, with an EE16 card.  The mode:  network activity stops (by the
> hub light);  no messages are logged; ping returns "sendto: no buffer
> space available"; 'ifconfig ie0 down; ifconfig ie0 up' causes ping
> to stop reporting errors, but no network activity occurs until reboot.
>
> Strangely, I've never seen this effect with NFS traffic, only with X,
> and specific applications seem to trigger it:  Acroread, or netscape,
> for example, but not ghostview.

My 3COM 3C509-TP ISA card (ep) does, too.  The network activity on ep0
stops almost invariably when I use Netscape on another Win95 PC and try
to download something big which imposes a load on the network
continuously.  It also stops when using Acroread.
The symptom is exactly the same as Mr. Kimball's one, that is, some
programs including ping report that there is no buffer space available,
and also ifconfig ep0 shows that OACTIVE attribute is set on the
interface; does this ring a bell to anyone?

I CC'ed this message to FreeBSD-current mailing list because I had not
seen this problem until the world was rebuilt with a recent -current
source tree.  This problem was first seen about a week ago.

Hope this helped and thanks much,
Gene

--
Eugene M. Kim