Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 20:55:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Ben Lai <belai@cisco.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, David Dawes <dawes@XFree86.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New XFree86 release soon (was Re: xdm & login.conf limits.)

The Permedia is already supported in XI Graphics AccerealtedX, with True
and Pseudocolor modes. However, the GL libraries are _software_
accelerators only, and they provide zero hardware assistance. A Matrox
Millenium will still do better than the Permedia for the current GL
libraries.

You need to download a patch to the 4.1-RELEASE, and I have only tested
it with the Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro. (Both the number and the "Pro"
designation are vital; the 1000, 2000, and 3000 are not supported.)

A 3d-assisted GL library will be out "soon", just like Windows98 and
NT5.0 I presume.

Kevin