Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 14:44:46 PDT
From:      "Gandalf T. Grey" <gandalf24@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: 3 Questions for 3.2-RELEASE Setup on Thinkpad 560X

Greetings,

I'm forwarding two out of three question to 'mobile' which were not answered
on the 'questions' list...

In my quest to get a 'real' OS running on my 560X, I've searched the
man pages, handbook, FAQ, mailing list archives, 'The Complete
FreeBSD', and a score of web sites.

After weeks of dedicated effort, I think I'm in the home stretch,
but I still have [two] nagging problems that I can't resolve:

     1. When I set the device speed for my 28.8 Hayes Optima PCMCIA
        modem to 28800, I connect to my ISP at 9600 and can surf
        very slowly. When I set the device speed higher, I get a
        connect message, but all I see is gibberish in the user-PPP
        term, so I can't log in.  I am using a very generic INIT
        string, ATE1Q0M0, which may be the problem.

        Does anyone have an INIT string for the Hayes Optima 28.8
        PCMCIA that allows them to actually connect at 28800, or know
        of some other reason why I might be having this problem?

     2. Last but far from least, the 560X does not have an internal
        CD-ROM, so I have an external Panasonic KXL with a PCMCIA SCSI
        card. The card seems to be a KME KXLC004. Since the 2 and 3
        may work with the ncv0 driver, I wanted to try it with the 4.
        I tried to compile it into the kernel (I'm using PAO3 by the
        way), but I don't see ncv0 even try to probe at boot time.

        Does anyone know what the right driver is for this SCSI pcard,
        where I can find it, and what settings to use?

Well, that's it. Thanks for taking the time to read about my problems,
and TIA if you can offer any assistance on solving them.

Regards,

gandalf24@hotmail.com