Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:34:55 -0500
From:      John Almberg <jalmberg@identry.com>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: snmpd strangeness

>> Now I'm curious about snmp, so perhaps I'll try to figure out how
>> to get
>> it to something useful. This machine has 8 hard drives, and is
>> located in
>> Manhattan, so I would certainly like to be informed if one of the
>> raid
>> drives went on the blink. That was one of the things he was trying
>> to get
>> working.
>
> Net-SNMP won't give you the status of the RAID.  Neither will bsnmpd
> (10.
> FreeBSD simply does not have the hooks to make this possible.  Someone
> needs to write the code.  I do not recommend relying on shell scripts
> tied into Net-SNMP to accomplish this either (for a lot of very good
> reasons); write the code in native C.
>
> It also greatly depends on what you're using for RAID.  If a hardware
> controller, good luck getting the status out of an API natively (sans
> Areca, which I believe offers an API) -- you'll resort to shell
> scripts
> and CLI binaries, in which case you're *easily* better off with a
> cronjob, periodic(8), or a log monitor daemon.

This machine has an Intel motherboard and a hardware raid controller.
 From what I can tell, there is some Intel software installed on the
machine that makes hardware faults visible to snmp.

That last sentence makes it sound like I know more than I do about
this situation. I'm just reading from notes. :-)

And I have an Intel disk that came with the motherboard that hints at
the same type of thing. I've just scanned the docs on the disk...
looks extraordinarily complicated.

I think I'll leave this to a rainy day when I have nothing to do (ha!)

-- John