Date:      Mon, 05 Jul 2004 02:00:29 -0700
From:      Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
To:        Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dependency fixing for xorg stuff

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 01:57, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> Eric Anholt wrote:
>
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/X/xorg-conv-1.diff
> >
> > The link above is a patch to fix up dependencies and make xorg the
> > default X for FreeBSD 5.2 and up.  [...]
>

> May I suggest to just define a default X_WINDOW_SYSTEM in bsd.port.mk,
> and make a new category meta, with the following ports:
>
> * port `meta/imake', used with
> `BUILD_DEPENDS+=imake:${PORTSDIR}/meta/imake', Makefile contents:
>
> META_PROVIDES=		imake
>
> .include <bsd.port.pre.mk>
> .if ${X_WINDOW_SYSTEM:L} == xorg
> RUN_DEPENDS=		${META_PROVIDES}:${PORTSDIR}/devel/imake-6
> .elif ${X_WINDOW_SYSTEM:L} == xfree86-4
> RUN_DEPENDS=		${META_PROVIDES}:${PORTSDIR}/devel/imake-4
> .elif ${X_WINDOW_SYSTEM:L} == xfree86-3
> RUN_DEPENDS=		${META_PROVIDES}:${PORTSDIR}/x11/XFree86
> .else
> BROKEN=			Unknown X_WINDOW_SYSTEM: ${X_WINDOW_SYSTEM}
> .endif
> .include <bsd.port.post.mk>

[...]

This does sound like a not too bad way of doing things while avoiding
bsd.port.mk.  Not having to touch bsd.port.mk is definitely a feature.

My concerns:
- having about 2n ports if we go the modular route instead of just n.
- getting a meta category made (how much work is this?)
- time -- we're looking at getting the switch done for 5.3, so I want
the tree to be stable WRT X before the freeze happens.

Are there any efforts going on to provide some sort of "capabilities"
that ports could set and others could depend on?  I guess in this case
it's all shlibs and binaries anyway, so the only difference is the
ability to swap out the providers of capabilities without pkgdb mess.
Hmmm.

Bah, it's late.  I'll have to sleep on this one.  Interesting idea.

--
Eric Anholt                                eta@lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt@FreeBSD.org