Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 09:22:18 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-2?Q?Micha=B3?= Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
To:        Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
Cc:        Jamie Jones <jamie@dyslexicfish.com>, DavidJohnson@Siemens.com, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TheRegister article on Hotmail

Alexandr Kovalenko [Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 02:44:25AM +0200]:
> Hello, Jamie Jones!
>
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 12:35:01AM +0000, you wrote:
>
> > > You can watch QT movies on FreeBSD using wine, it works just great. :)
> >
> > I thought "mplayer" worked natively with QT files.. Is this not so ?
>
> It doesn't play Sorenson-encoded videos, AFAIR.

Update your information then :)  From the mplayer.hq.hu:

How To Enable QuickTime Codecs In MPlayer - 2002.11.19.

A'rpi whipped up a small text which describes how to use closed-source
QuickTime codecs (Sorenson, QDesign Audio, etc) in MPlayer. The process is a
bit difficult, but currently the only solution. Be patient, we are working
on a better implementation.

It is important to emphasize the fact that although this method includes
usage of the windows emulator Wine, this is NOT just like using the
QuickTime Player. Wine is only used for the decoder, thus from MPlayer's
viewpoint it looks just like any other codec: you can use xmga, aalib,
vidix, whatever to display the movie. And, you can even encode it with for
example DivX, with MEncoder.

The instructions can be found in DOCS/tech/qt-libwine-howto.txt. Good luck!

---

I never tested it, BTW.

--
Michał Pasternak - http://pasternak.w.lub.pl - +48606570000