Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 20:59:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Ricky Zaccaro <rickyz@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Question

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Ricky Zaccaro wrote:

> I would like to run my own site like www.yourname.com but i dont want to
> have a company having to server since i am only 15 and dont have alot of
> money to waste on this. If i got FreeBSD would it server a website with
> a www.yourname.com off of my computer and would i need a constant ip
> number ot do this? Also how much does FreeBSD cost and where could i
> purchase it?

hrm, :)

Let me just explain a few things:

1) The problem with running www.yourdomain.com from home can be
solved if you get what's called a "static IP address" from
your internet provider.  That means it doesn't change, and you
most definetly want a perminent connection to the internet.

Depending on your location a static IP and a dedicated connection
can be dirt cheap, or terribly expensive.  In Santa Clara it's
costing me less than 70$/month for several static IPs and an 'ok'
DSL line for bandwidth.  When I was living in New York City, just
getting a modem line with a static IP 24/7 would have cost me over
200$/month

However, be aware, certain providers don't like you "serving"
off your sites, you should check the terms of service.

2) Yes FreeBSD can serve web pages.

3) FreeBSD is Free ('Free' in FreeBSD) you can download it off
the internet at http://www.freebsd.org/, however it's quite large
the complete system can be about a gigabyte or more. (not that
you need all of that)

If you want to get it on CDrom, you can order it from Walnut Creek
cdrom at http://www.cdrom.com/ it's about 60$ and that includes
the CDroms, and a book detailing how it works.

4) You need books, a whole bunch, check out Amazon.com for
books on the internet and such.

5) and if that web site you're planning on takes off, be sure
to drop me an email, we have some nice hosting arrangments. :)

-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|bright@wintelcom.net]
systems administrator and programmer
    Win Telecom - http://www.wintelcom.net/