Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:30:14 -0400
From:      "jason" <kib@mediaone.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail and SASL

A solution has come to me but I was unsure if this would work.  Rather than
use these pop before smtp or other hack to get authorization can anyone tell
me if this idea is feasible?

The mail server is going to become a DNS server.  And some clients will be
using a dyndns type of entry to route a domain we collect email for.  I know
that sendmail will allow relay for users who have a reverse DNS that
resolves to any domain name it is setup to accept email for.  This will soon
be doing its queries on a local name server which will have domain names set
dynamically for some users.

If the client uses a dyndns app to update the ip in bind before checking
email then when sendmail checks to see if the user hostname is should
resolve the one routed by our system and not the one assigned by the Dialup
ISP or Hotel LAN service provides.

Am I on the right track with this thought?  Because if this is even remotely
possible I would rather go that route since it is something we will be doing
in the next several weeks.