Date:      Thu, 4 Jul 1996 01:17:47 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fports@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        dk+@ua.net
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nntpbtr port uploaded

> [ comments: I screwed To: address in my mail - freebsd-ports@ instead of
>   ports@. Apologies. ]

These are aliases for each other (as far as I know).

> > Interesting coincidence. I did a port over the weekend of slurp,
>
> hmm, I think that nntpbtr is better program of this class (used both).

I've only used slurp.

> btw, how can I get someone committing the port?  ;-)

The usual method is to put nntpbtr.tar.gz (that's your port, not the
source tarball!) in ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/incoming, together with an
nntpbtr.txt file to explain what it is, and post a brief announcement
on the list. If it's small (less than about 4kB), you can uuencode it
and post it here instead.

> > >   /usr/local/bin/rnews, /usr/local/news/lib/history
> >
> > I would make these ${PREFIX}/bin/rnews, etc
>
> see, this is inside a conf.h, which is source files.
> You can't patch a patch in patches/ easily on-the-fly, can you? ;-)

Just run sed over conf.h? (That's what I did!)

> > >   Now, it is /var/spool/news/nntpbtr-HOSTNAME.
> >
	> > ${PREFIX}/share/nntpbr/HOSTNAME is how this is normally done for ports.
>
> nope, this is sort of `run' or `spool' file - it is written by the program
> to remember it's checkpoint on restart. (and also flock(2)s it for
> collision detection).

OK, /var/spool/news/nntpbtr-HOSTNAME it is :-)

> I have been seen slurp, and I now the main adavantages of nntpbtr:
[snip]

Some of these also apply to slurp. Perhaps you saw an old version?
(1.10 is the latest).

Anyway, there should be enough room for both of them, as well as
'suck', which has been in the ports for some time.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk