Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:05:49 -0600
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: the real question

dhcpd.leases is the file with the current active leases.  According to the
man page for dhcpd.leases:

In  order to prevent the lease database from growing without bound,
the  file  is  rewritten  from  time  to  time. First, a temporary lease
database is created and all known leases are dumped to it.   Then, the old
lease database is renamed  /var/db/dhcpd.leases~.   Finally, the newly
written lease database is moved into place.

I got further clarification from Ted Lemon:

It's once an hour at a minimum - if you write a thousand leases before an
hour has elapsed, the file is rewritten, but if you don't, after an hour
has elapsed it will be rewritten.

                                _MelloN_

So basically, don't touch the file, leave it alone.  The dhcpd daemon will
take care of refreshing the file.

Oscar

At 08:58 AM 2/25/00 -0500, Vince Gonzalez, you wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 09:11:54AM -0800, Chameleon wrote:
> > At 03:52 PM 2/23/00 -0800, Fred J. Lomas wrote:
> > >Can anyone tell me the difference between the files dhcpd.leases
> > and
> > >dhcpd.leases~ I cant seem to find any. and is there a way to clear
> > those
> > >files so they can refresh ??
> > >
> > I'm not sure how to refresh the files...
> > but dhcpd.leases~ is a copy of the old dhcpd.leases... before it was
> > overwriten by the current dhcpd.leases...
>
>The point is, you're not supposed to.  Out of curiosity, why would you
>want to?
>
>--vince

"Don't believe the hype"