Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:44:05 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jack@sage-one.net>
To:        "Taylor Dondich" <thexder@lvcm.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: UPS and Power-Chute Support

At 10:36 PM 4.16.2002 -0700, Taylor Dondich wrote:
>I am thinking of buying a UPS for my servers (because of a recent power
>outage that sent me screaming).  I'm looking into APC's Smart-UPS line.  It
>offers Power-Chute software supposedly that runs on UNIX.  My question is,
>I'd like to hook that up to a monitoring system that when it detects a power
>outage, will send a signal to the rest of the servers to shut down nicely.
>Does anyone have any experience with this and how it's done?  I'd like to
>know more before I purchase it.
>
>Taylor Dondich

Yes, I have recent experience doing that, BUT, look closer Powerchute runs
with a version of SCO UNIX and that is not FBSD.... don't think that will
work. But, I have installed APCUPSD from ports that works great. It is
smart, runs as a daemon and tells the other machines when to shut down. I
run dump UPS on other machines (slaves) and the smart one APC SmartUPS on a
master. apcupsd also will run on Windows stations to talk to them too....

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,

Jack L. Stone
Server Admin