Date:      Thu, 7 May 1998 10:53:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSLeay 0.8.1 port, rsaref troubles.

On Wed, 6 May 1998 ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net wrote:

> Hello.
> I tryed to make the subject explain most of my problems at this time.
> I downloaded the SSLeay-0.8.1 portt from the FreeBSD ports collection.
> It was also stated that rsaref-2.0 was required, so I naturally followed
> the link to download that port.
> I first compiled and installed the rsaref port, or so I thought.
> I untarred the file, typed make, saw no errors, and then typed make
> install to finish the installation of rsaref port.
> I then untarred the SSLeay.tar file, typed make, the dist-file was
> fetched from the master site, extracted, and then here is where my
> problem is.
> There was a message, stating that SSLEay needs executable rsaref\2\ or
> something like that.    In fact, it was called: rsaref\.2\.  And it kept
> looking for it in /usr/ports/security/rsaref.

The ssleay port verifies that rsaref has been built and installed by
running a make && make install in the rsaref port directory.  Assuming
that directory exists and has the port in it then rsaref will be built &
installed automatically.  The ports tree assumes that you build everything
out of /usr/ports, which I know I don't and thus get burnt on it every so
often (especially with kde).

> I have installed several ports, and have never come upon something like
> this.  Should this rsaref port be installed in /usr/ports even if it is
> downloaded off the net?  I should explain then that the make process
> says "skipping," and continues the make process.  However, when all is
> made, and I type make install, nothing is installed in /usr/local/ssl,
> and in fact, I am having a whale of a time finding where this thing got
> installed.  What am I doing incorrectly?

`make install' in the ssleay directory should install it if it's built --
watch the install's flying by and see where it's going.  Most likely it
went into /usr/local/bin.  FreeBSD doesn't create separate /usr/local/
directories for each package like other OSs do.