Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 23:44:20 +0200
From:      Gerald Heinig <Gerald.Heinig@post.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TA PCI passive card questions

Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> Gerald Heinig writes:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I recently (yesterday) acquired a TA ISDN card and I'd like to know
> >whether anyone has any info on this beast.
> >It has the Cologne Chip Designs chip on it - the exact number is CCD
> >9914E.
> >I had a look through the i4b archives and it seems someone (Hellmuth?)
> >is writing a driver for this thing, or wants to, or has finished and
> >wants to test or whatever.
> >If the driver work is still ongoing, Iīd like to offer to help. I have a
> >bit of time spare at the moment and if I could contribute something and
> >learn a thing or two that would be cool.
> >First of all, though, I donīt have any docs for this chip and I donīt
> >even know what company the card is from. All it says on the box is "ISDN
> >128k TA card" and the exact card number is TAS106H-C if thatīs of any
> >help to anyone.
> >
> >As for the chip, I had a look for www.ccd.de, ccd.com, searched for
> >"Cologne Chip Design" on Yahoo but turned up nothing. Where do I get the
> >doco for this thing from?
> >
> >Any pointers much appreciated.
> >
> >If there already *is* a driver for this then sorry to waste your time.
> >Iīm still on 3.4 Release with (IIRC) the stock i4b and there was no
> >mention of this card in the "Cards" file. If itīs already in the 4.0 i4b
> >Iīll have missed it.
> >

> This is kind of old. Did anyone ever answer it ?

Yeah. I got a reply from Hellmuth a week or two back with a pointer to http://www.colognechip.de and I've downloaded the
doco.

> Anyway... CCD has a web site at www.colognechip.de.
>
> Is this the HFC-S PCI chip ? (looks at data sheet...) I guess not.
> I have no idea which chip this is and I've never seen numbers like
> this on a CCD chip. They tend to use labels like HFC-S PCI or HFC-SP.

Erm, yes. [embarrassment]. It's actually an HFC-S PCI. I didn't look at the right numbers.

> There are some CCD chips supported in the next beta releasae. Don't
> know when that will be.
>
> The driver for the HFC-S PCI chip is in a rather incomplete state
> right now. Obviously, it's a PCI based card. If you have one of
> those then you might also have this chip.

The chip is the HFC-S PCI. Hellmuth said he was keen on a driver being available for the next release. I'd be happy to
give things a try, but all my driver experience is from Solaris, and even that isn't all that much. What I'm really
lacking is good doco for the FreeBSD way to probe and attach a card to the system and The Right Way (tm) of doing
things. It's kind of hard to find docs like that for BSD.

> I started the driver and got it fairly far along, but I never
> finished it. I sent Hellmuth what I had, but he didn't have time
> to finish it. If you're interested, I could send you what I have.

Cool. I'd definitely be interested.

> But you have to develop in the context of the next release, which is
> *completely* different from the old stuff.

*sigh*. So I _will_ have to upgrade to 4.0 pronto, then? I was sort of hoping I'd get round that, but ah, what the
heck.... :-)

> Could be difficult to get
> up to speed. It's probably better to wait for me or Hellmuth to get
> on the stick and finish the driver.

You're right on that one. It'll take me a while to work out what goes where, but I'm still interested in the code. You
never know, I might even be able to help.... :-)

Cheers,

Gerald