Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 2004 14:44:47 -0600
From:      Jay Moore <jaymo@cromagnon.cullmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports hosed

On Sunday 04 April 2004 03:29 pm, Kent Stewart wrote:

> > Well, done is done... no way I can "back up", and re-visit questions
> > that I've already answered incorrectly. And meanwhile my machine is
> > still crunching forward with the last "portupgrade -a" that I did -
> > this will likely continue for quite some time as it reports 211 ports
> > (and this # keeps growing!) I believe I've lost control of the f**g
> > thing...
> >
> > So - is there a way to go back to "ground zero"?... to just remove
> > everything from the ports tree, and re-install from the 5.2 cd?
>
> I got to thinking about this more. I think you should have taken care of
> all of the problems in /usr/ports/UPDATING before you fire off
> portupgrade -a. You would have probably still bumped into the openssl
> problem but it is a good idea for a start.

Agreed... _if_ I had known to read /usr/ports/UPDATING I might have avoided
the chaos I've created. For that matter if I'd known that the K3b port was
going to suck down a bazillion dependencies, I would have foregone this whole
quagmire :)

But I didn't. I've learned a little bit, but I am where I am, and I have no
confidence that this thing is going to conclude in a stable situation anytime
soon - at least not without a lot more time and effort.

So - again, is there any way to cleanly remove and re-install the entire ports
tree from the 5.2 cd?

Thanks,
Jay