Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 09:23:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Leonard <anl1@nildp2.arme.cornell.edu>
To:        Dean Shannon <deanshan@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 500 Internal Server Error

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Dean Shannon wrote:

> It seems however when we or
> visitors are accessing CGI pearl scripts we get a '500 Internal Server
> Error'. And we dont know how to fix it.

This is hard to answer without seeing the source of your CGIs, which you
may or may not want to share.  What does the error log (generally at
logs/error_log) tell you?  Often this gives you enough to start debugging
if you haven't checked there already.

If you find some particularly troublesome issues, why don't you try asking
on comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi?  Also, have you checked out the
Perl CGI Programming FAQ at
http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/doc/FAQs/cgi/perl-cgi-faq.html yet?

> Does anyone know how to configure the server to receive a high volume of
> traffic - I would be very grateful.

The apache group has a web page that answers just that question for BSD
systems.  It should come with the source and be at:

htdocs/manual/misc/perf-bsd44.html

Good luck!

/andy