Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:51:22 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@svzserv.kemerovo.su>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, qa@FreeBSD.ORG, docs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upcoming 4.7-RELEASE: unresolved issue

I somewhat disagree with this as a bug. AFAIK, "ether" is the base Ethernet
subsystem, and it has always been needed for DUMMYNET, as well as for PPP
(and most other networking). As a matter of fact, DUMMYNET also depends on
most of the IPFW firewall code being in, too.

A system without the ether pseudo-device is pretty useless, networking wise.

As to documentation, /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT states:

#  The `ether' pseudo-device provides generic code to handle
#  Ethernets; it is MANDATORY when a Ethernet device driver is
#  configured or token-ring is enabled.

Sounds to me like the second you talk about Ethernet, this needs to be in.

What it sounds like you really want is to make ether KLD'able, so you can
build and absolute minimal static kernel, and then KLD things in. If so, you
should probably tweak the bug to say so. Otherwise, the LINT file basically
says its MANDATORY when using ethernets, and, if you read ppp(4), it says
"The ppp interface allows serial lines to be used as network interfaces". This
should kinda make you go "Hmmm..."

Personally, I think this bug should be changed to read that ether needs to
be loadable, or have it documented that its mandatory, period.

	-B